Roots: The Famous Flynns

The Flynn family coat of arms

By Elizabeth Reilly, Editorial Assistant
April / May 2009

Flynn, or O Floinn in Irish, is high on the list of the most popular names in Ireland. It is derived from the Gaelic personal name Flann, which, when applied to a person, connotes a ruddy complexion. The name can be traced throughout Ireland, but is more frequently found in the south around Cork and Waterford and in the north in Counties Roscommon, Leitrim and Cavan.

The Flynns from County Cork separated themselves into two main factions; one living at Ardagh Castle between Skibbereen and Baltimore while the second were once lords of Muskerrylinn, until they were forced east by the McCarthy clan.

The clan’s northern counterparts situated in Kiltullagh and Kilkeevin in County Roscommon were erenaghs, in charge of maintaining lands and collecting taxes in the Parishes of St. Dochonna near Boyle, and the Parish at Errew by Lough Conn. The Flynns also owned land in South Armagh; here they were the senior branch of the Clanna Rury of Ulidia and traced their lineage all the way back to Colla Uais, King of Ireland in the fourth century.

Flynns have always been prominent in the religious world; in 1255, Fiacha O’Flynn became Archbishop of Tuam and, in 1820, Reverend Jeremiah O’Flynn played an instrumental role in sending the first Catholic missionaries to Australia. Modern members of the clan are still active in the religious field; Harry Flynn is the Archbishop Emeritus of the Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis, a position he has held since 1995.

Flynn descendants are also medaled soldiers, with two members of the clan receiving Medals of Honor during the Civil War.  Sergeant James E Flynn of the 6th Missouri Infantry was awarded the Medal of Honor for gallantry in the charge of the volunteer storming party at Vicksburg, Mississippi.  Sergeant Christopher Flynn of the 14th Connecticut Infantry received the award after he captured the flag of the 52nd North Carolina Infantry at the Battle of Gettysburg.

A soldier in a different sense, Elizabeth Gurley Flynn was a labor leader, activist and feminist. At the age of 16, Elizabeth gave her first political speech on “What Socialism Will Do for Women,” and though she was expelled from high school as a result, the speech set off a long career in the field of social activism. From 1907 until 1916, she became involved in the International Workers of the World, organizing campaigns for factory workers, restaurant employees and miners. Elizabeth was so passionate about her work that during this period she was arrested on ten different occasions.  She was also a founding member of the American Civil Liberties Union and an avid supporter of the Birth Control Movement and Women’s Suffrage.

In the field of science and technology, James Robert “Jim” Flynn (born 1934 in Chicago), as a professor of political studies at the University of Otago in Dunedin, New Zealand, researched the year-after-year rise of IQ scores in all parts of the world, giving us the term “the Flynn effect.”
Meanwhile on the sports field, another famous Flynn tore up the tracks in the 1980s. Irish mile great Ray Flynn, who ran 89 sub-4-minute miles, now owns and operates Flynn Sports Management, a firm that represents a number of top American runners.

The phrase “in like Flynn” is attributed by some to American politician and lawyer  Edward J. Flynn — “Boss” Flynn (1891-1953), who was a campaign manager for the Democratic Party during FDR’s presidency. Flynn’s machine in the South Bronx in New York was so successful at winning elections that his candidates seemed to get into office automatically.

One of the more famous contemporary Flynns in politics is former Boston Mayor Ray Flynn, who was elected as Boston’s 52nd mayor in 1984 and served until 1993.  A devout Catholic, Flynn was appointed by President Clinton as the American Ambassador to the Holy See.  He held this position from 1993 until 1997 and currently is the National Chairman of Catholic Citizenship, a group he started in 2004.
Members of the Flynn family have also crossed the divide from the political world to the literary.  John T. Flynn became one of the premier American political commentators during his career as a journalist in the 1920’s and 30’s.  In the early 30’s Flynn was an avid supporter of FDR during his initial bid for the presidency; however, Flynn split from Roosevelt in 1936 due to differing opinions on FDR’s New Deal.  He went on to become a founding member of the America First Committee, which opposed Roosevelt’s foreign policy.  A more contemporary political writer is Vince Flynn, who has written six New York Times best-sellers since 1998.

One of the clan’s most flamboyant members was actor Errol Flynn, who owing to his seductive powers, is also an alternative candidate for the expression “in like Flynn.” A swashbuckler both on and off the silver screen, he was immortalized in films like The Adventures of Robin Hood and The Sun Also Rises. In 2004, Flynn was portrayed by Jude Law in the Howard Hughes biopic The Aviator. A more modern-day actor with a connection to the Flynn clan is Lara Flynn Boyle, the attractive actress who made a name for herself on the drama series Twin Peaks and the Emmy Award-winning show The Practice.

Flynns also made their way in the world of music. The renowned jazz pianist Frank Emilio Flynn (1921-2001) was born to Digna Maria and Francis Joseph Flynn in Havana, Cuba. In the business sphere, Irish-American William Flynn is Mutual of America’s Chairman Emeritus and the first Irish-American chairman of the NCAFP (National Committee on American Foreign Policy). Flynn received the National Committee’s first Initiative for Peace Award in 1997 for his work in promoting peace in Northern Ireland. He was this magazine’s Irish American of the Year in 1995 and was also honored as one of Irish America’s Irish of the Century.

131 Responses to “Roots: The Famous Flynns”

1. Jim O' Flynn says:

Back in the time of the famine 1845 – 1847, the British soup kitchens demanded loyalty to the crown, before you were given soup. You had to swear an oath of loyalty to The King. If you did “take the soup”, you were disowned and hence no “longer the son of”, so the “O'” was dropped from your name. So, to say your name is Flynn, as opposed to O’ Flynn, has significance in Ireland. Greetings to all my clan around the world. I’m in the County of Cork, Munster.

• Ray Flynn says:

Jim the phrase “taking the soup” is a myth and did not exsist during the famine, that phrase arose in the turn of the century American politics. If it were true then how are you O Flynn and not O Floinn, unless somewhere along the line your family took the soup. The main reason we are all Flynn or O Flynn is simply for literacy and educational reasons.

• Owen o'flynn says:

That saying does come from soup kitchen’s and spread to eastern US, more as a result of anti catholic bigotry. There are many references to it’s use from the late 1840’s..

• Owen o'flynn says:

My Grandmother would tell us, “we did’nt leave our O in the soup!!

• Liam Flynn says:

I worked a trawler out of Castletownbere, Cork Co. and I heard ¨Did you drink the Queen´s Soup¨ all the time. Back in the States, everyone says it was lost during the Ellis Island registry.
      Just an aside, I just reopened a second business in Baltimore, Maryland and named it Ó Flynn´s Crab & Cask House. It has been a real pain trying to push the Gaelic ¨Ó¨ as opposed to using the Anglicized ¨ O´¨. Going full Gaelic with Ó Floinn name would confuse the locals. Baltimore has it´s very own way of pronouncing things.

• Ellie Stevenson Cerasuolo says:

My ancestor is Honora O’Flynn (some supposed captured Irish Princess off the coast of Ireland). I live in Maryland. I will try your place…. Loved my visit to Ireland to try to find out some Irish ancestry as we’re full of it! But I don’t get my 26% Scandanavian?

Take care….

• Mike Logsdon says:

We share the same great Grandmother. She was wed to William Logsdon. As far as Scandanavian Descendcy look at the Viking Invasions in the 700’s-900’s in Ireland.

• Peggy Curtis says:

The Vikings loved Ireland and intermarried with the Irish women that’s how you got your Scandanavian heritage. THE real irish have black hair and blue eyes while those who intermarried with the Vikings had red hair and blue/green eyes… (AS was told to me by my red-headed irish grandmother).

• Machiel says:

I am from family Flynn, Errol Flynn was a 2nd cousin of My grandmother,.. I am told he came to there wedding., pretty cool.(waves) Hi Flynn,s!

• Emmilyn Flynn says:

Hi Machiel!
        I am also related to Errol Flynn, he is my great uncle!
        Though it is sorta embarrassing due to the fact that he was such an awful person. Do you have your Irish citizenship? My side of the family can’t because the church containing all the birth records burnt down.

• Mary Dority says:

Hi, Jim. I am trying to locate my Great Grandmother Bridget Flynn from Cork. She immigrated here to the states around the late 1800’s-Early 1900’s. Not sure who her parents are and if she had siblings. I thought you might be able to help! Thank You ?

• mark o flynn says:

Hello i have found a relative of mine called bridget.I can send you a population census form via email with her name and family

2. Dave says:

Jim and Ray,
    Another reason we dropped the O was to get work in the U.S.. We were confronted with N.I.N.A. laws when we arrived. No Irish Need Apply. Modifing your surname was a survival tactic used by many nationalities.

3. James Flynn says:

Don’t forget this fella! A great young amateur boxer from Glasgow. He works as a postman and said of his victory “The postman always delivers!” http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlie_Flynn

4. Sheila Flynn says:

My grandfather was Henry Flynn from Hendersonville , N.C .. (Bat Cave)
    I would love to know more about this side of my family.

Hi Sheila
      Maybe Henry in your Flynn family originated from a Marriage between Flynn and Henry in Stroke town Roscommon Ireland or may have originated in Sligo where both names are common

5. Mark W. Ó Brien says:

FYI: the Ó stands for “Grandson of.” Mac/Mc is “Son of.” Fitz is “Bastard Son of.” And Ní is “Daughter of.”

6. Steven Brennan says:

I am trying to find my mothers relatives, Flynns, and think I have narrowed the search. Is there a good way of nailing down the details? It has been a tough task. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

7. Jesse A. Flynn says:

I am looking for lost relatives in Rhode Island, Massachusetts and else where who share a relative the late Bernard Flynn who past away when living in Lowell, MA.
    There is a whole family away from the rest of the Flynn side of the family residing in Woburn, Wilmington, Salem, NH, and Portland, ME.
    Please contact with any info.

8. Sarah says:

I’m curious if anyone has information on King Edward O’Flynn. I am a direct relative (9th great granddaughter) and don’t seem to be able to find much information on him.

• Patrick O'Flynn says:

Hi Sarah I have done a lot of Research on the O’Flynn Clan and might be able to help

• Linda Jacobs says:

Hi Patrick – King Edward OFlynn is my 9th great grandfather and I am doing research. Anything that would help or point me in the right direction would be appreciated.

• Patrick O'Flynn says:

Hi Linda the First Edmund O’Flyn we have located was born in the 17th century his father was Columb O’Flyn . He was Chief of his name. I never heard of a King associated with our name but the Chief O’Flyn was the representative of the Clan . The O’Flynns of Ballinlough are the most prominent and easiest to trace . Their territory was in West Roscommon and East Galway
          My contact number is 0867761897 I am in Roscommon Ireland

Patrick O’Flynn

• Shannan says:

I am a descendant of Miles O’Flynn, born September 15, 1810 in Listrin, County Ireland. He came to America with his brothers in 1839. He joined the US Army, discharged 1844. Resettled in Sevier County, Arkansas. He joined the Masons and the babtist church with his wife Sarah and was banished from the family, I am Dorothy Dalton Flynn’s granddaughter, 03/23/1918. I am going to Ireland in September 2017 and would like to look up family history while there. Any information would be helpful.

Hi Linda
            Very interesting was Miles in my family born 1819
            I think the county you are referring to is Leitrim

• Sharron Flynn says:

I have posted before that we have a family story of how our ancestor came to America, 7 brothers traveled to America together and went their separate ways never to reconnect again. Our earliest record is my Great Grandfather James Marcus who dropped the O’ when he married in 1861, Lamar County, Alabama. He told this story to my Grandfather that his father was one of the brothers. My grandfather would tease us kids by talking in the Irish brogue he learned from his grandfather he called Pappy.

• Robert Flynn says:

Patrick O’Flynn this is Robert Flynn arriving in Ireland on the 19 of May and spending my first night in Galway, is it possible for us to make a stop on the 20th or 21st to briefly visit face to face? It would really be nice to tell when I return to USA. You name the time and place and we’ll meet you there. Thanks for the online help to everyone.

• Patrick O'Flynn says:

Yes Robert no problem I will be in Galway 19th and 20th as I said you can call me on 0867761897 when you in Galway so we can meet up
            I am very interested in where you got these early dates re O’Flynn’s

• Margaret Lundien says:

Well, I have a membership to ancestry.com … I usually follow the paternal line of grandparent across but occasionally with an occasional dip into the grandmothers’ lines. So I trail through with the common question after I find a grandfather … “and who is your father?” Then I go through all the other ancestry trees, any and all documents that may attached. After that I go and type their name in google and review OTHER genealogy sites’ familial trees. Then I go to Wikipedia … if I can find enough information from several sources, I will say … “ok” that seems to be as right as i can get it. I reeeeally try to ask questions and search out answers. But I am never 100% sure because … I’m relying on others’ information… which is quite often pretty reliable. Have I messed something up? I am so excited to be related to the O’Flynns. I am a writer and will be completing my book by September and thought “Ok I’m going to research and write a book about Honora!” But … alas … someone has already written a book about her .. and I have ordered it from Amazon. Cannot wait to read it.. I also can’t tell you how much I appreciate your communications.

• Robert Flynn says:

Patrick, we will leave Galway the morning of the 19th, will you be there the night of the 18th or on the road heading to Galway on the 19. We’ll leave on the 19th heading down to clifts. Thought if that was the case we might stop roadside. What do you think?

Hi Robert
            I will be travelling to Galway from Roscommon on the 19th leaving Roscommon at about 11.30 there was a Honora mentioned in the 17th Century only woman recorded Ann this was for the O’Flynn’s of Ballinlough County Roscommon

• Robert Flynn says:

I’ll be traveling from the East crossing your county on my way to Tuam – St. Mary’s Cathedral on the 18th, I’ll be calling

• Margaret Lundien says:

I just found King Edward O’Flynn the father of Honora O’Flynn who was stolen from him by the English and put on a boat to become a wife of one of the colonists. My 5xggf was Logsdon who married Honora. Edmund was his father but I show King Edmund’s father as Thomas O’Flynn whose father is listed as George Flinn. ? Courtesy of Ancestry.com …

• Ellie says:

I’m a decendant of Honora O’Flynn Logsdon. Just found out today. In the States. I live near Annapolis, MD.

• Robert Flynn says:

To be sure we are talking about the same Edmund and Thomas, can you give me their birth dates, and any other pertinent information?

• Julie Chrismer says:

Hello Cousins! I, too, am a descended grand-daughter of Honora O’Flynn. Would you be willing to share your information?

Would you also have information on King / Chief Edward O’Flynn’s wife? I am tracing my mitochondrial line and am stuck on finding concrete information about them.

• Carlee Paul says:

Hi Margaret!
            I’m also related to King Edward O’Flynn, Honora would be my 8x great grandmother. Did you ever find out more information on this family line? I would be curious to know if he actually ruled for any time.. looks like maybe he was just born into the clan and had some land? Did you ever read that book on Honora?

• Adrian Logsdon Parker says:

I am also a descendant of the O’Flynn Logsdon Line. I have a hand written lineage sheet going to 1652 for William Logsdon specifically stating – Wed Honora Flynn (no “O”) “an Irish catholic”. we were all protestant, so I assume the quotation was a bad thing back then in 1702

Hi Linda
          I have concentrated on the O’Flyns of Connaght and I do know that there was a mention of a Collogh O’Flinn husband to Onora this is from the Book of Survey a Distribution this may refer to the Hanora it was in reference to a Townland in O’Flyn territory in the Barony of Ballintober and Parish Kiltullagh County Roscommon.

• Diana says:

Hi Patrick,
        I am the 7th great granddaughter of King Edward O’flynn. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

• Patrick O'Flynn says:

Hi Diana for a start there is a Hanora recorded in The Book of Survey and Distribution for Ballintubber Barony County Roscommon.
          The Chief of the O’Flynns was never refered to as King rather O’Flynn Chief of his Nation or Lord.
          Hanora was recorded in the context as in John O’Flynn husband to Hanora
          My email [email protected]

• Robert Flynn says:

Thank you Patrick, there seems to be an ongoing misunderstanding of what the difference is between king and honora

• Patrick O'Flynn says:

This lady who was in Maryland may have been your ancestor and also the Hanoria I have refered to as she is the only woman recorded in the Book of Survey and Distribution she may very well have been recorded because she was the daughter of the Chief but also because of her disadisappearance. I do know that there were close ties between the Carrols and the O’Flyn’s in Ireland and both names are recorded in Maryland and seem to have got grants of land there

• michelle says:

I would love t know more about the Flynn,s

• Patrick O'Flynn says:

Hi Sarah there was never a king Edward Flynn but the Chierarchy was Edmond who was chief my email is [email protected]
      Contact number 0867761897

• Ellie Stevenson Cerasuolo says:

I’m an ancestor of Honora O’Flynn his daughter…

• Angel Carter says:

Also my kin Cave City, Ky

• SCallahan says:

I found quite a bit of information on the King on ancestry. He is my 10th great grandfather 🙂 My last name is Callahan. The Irish never left the family though we left our land.

9. Sharron Flynn says:

Great Grandfather James Marcus Flynn married in [email protected] La Mar County Alabama. Have no info prior – he relocated his family including my Grandfather James Oliver Newton Flynn to Oklahoma. My Dad Herman Cortez Flynn born Jan1915 in Paul’s Valley Okla. He was one of 7. Family story is that 7 brothers immigrated to New York City and as they left to find their fortunes they never reunited. Familiar? Do not know if James Marcus was one of the Brothers or a son of one of the Brothers. My Grandpa Flynn only remembered his Grandfather as Pappy.

10. Sharron Flynn says:

Born in Fresno Ca, Father Herman Cortez Flynn born 1915 Paul’s Valley Okla., Grandfather James Oliver Newton Flynn born 1891 La Mar County, Al, Great-Grandfather James Marcus Flynn, married in La Mar County, Ala, no other verifiable information. Family story about origins – 7 Brothers immigrated to New York City and left singly or in pairs to seek their fortune and never reunited.

11. Chelsea Flynn says:

In the 1900’s my great grandfather John came to the United States with the last name O’flynn. The government made him take the o off did this happen to anyone else’s family member?

12. Sarah Brown says:

I’m a few years late with this post however had to comment!
    My ancestors came to Scotland from Ireland, first Colmonell in Ayr for a short time before moving to Wigtownshire then finally Glasgow. The story goes that they had to drop the ‘O’ in Flynn due to the stigma attached to being Irish. Nothing to do with soup!

13. Jeremy Lynn says:

I’ve done enough research to trace the Lynn line back to the mid 1600s , and I’m trying to figure out when the Lynn branch dropped the ‘F’. If anyone could me some insight, I would be massively appreciative.

• M Flynn says:

Another variant of the name, I have direct cousins with a Blinn , and Flinn variant and that started over 150 years ago. Lynn….that’s a new one to me.

• Patrick O'Flynn says:

The F of Flynn was dropped by the northern branch of the Flynns in the 17th century and some of them called themselves Lindsay as Edward McLysaght (The Surnames of Ireland ) said out of mistaken pride and example of the use of the Lynn name was Vera Lynn the famous singer she is from the famous O’Flynn Clan that gave the Normans such difficulty in conquering the north eastern part of Ireland Indeed Sir John DeCourcy barely escaped with his life when his army was defeated by Cumhie O’Flynn

14. M Flynn says:

I was told in my family that the O was dropped to anglicanize the name. Now in my family as it was heard and read, our Flynn name has differerent variants in my direct family alone. We have Flynn, Flinn, and Blinn. This is weird.

15. Noel O'Flynn says:

Greetings to all O’Flynns , My grandfather Michael Paul O’Flynn born Cork [mallow lane/now Gerald Griffin Street]] [late 1800s/1966] brothers John.Joseph. Dinny.Fr. Christy/James & sisters Monica.&Cissie Their Father Cornelius O’Flynn married Catherine Upington [cork] [Corneilus former 2 wives died] The family were successful in meat& livestock business, My queries on the Upington connection brings me to a cul-de-sac, It was said that Cornelius [aforesaid] went to the USA and was friendly with O’Donovan Rossa I would love any info,to, [email protected]

16. Robert Flynn says:

I’m coming to Ireland and Northern Ireland hoping to connect more closely to our roots. My older brothers have done quite a bit of research telling me that we originated from the Bloodline of Edmond Flynn (1570-1646) and his son Laughtin Thomas Flynn (1620-1680) from County Down. Yet, when I research it looks like Flynns are everywhere in the Continent. Do does anyone have any suggestions for me and when I arrive in Dublin whether I should travel straight to County Down or elsewhere? Thank you

• Patrick O'Flynn says:

Hi Robert is there a chance your ancestors came from Ballinlough County Roscommon where we have the family located until the present
      It is also represented by Brien Murphy O’Flynn of SanFrancisco

Regards

• Robert Flynn says:

My older brothers who have done the research have told me that our ancestry has been traced back to (By DNA) Laughtin Thomas Flynn (1620-1680) and his father was Edmond Flynn (1570-1646) and that we originated from County Down

• Patrick O'Flynn says:

Hi Robert we have both Loughlin and Edmond locategory at a place called Turlagh Ballymoe parish of Ballinakil County Galway both have first names mentioned in 1744 in anew Irish Proclamation re Abductions but would be interesting to see if the Down Flynns are of the same DNA

17. Robert Flynn says:

We will arrive May 18th into the Dublin Airport at 6:50 a.m.; rent a car at begin our road trip northward and wondering if we should go to County Down since my brothers have traced our ancestors to that county or should we move on cross country to the west coast of Ireland, arriving May 18 in the evening for our first sleep over at Seashore Lodge in Galway. On May 19 we will travel and hopefully visit Loughlin and Edmond locategory at a place called Turlagh Ballymoe parish of Ballinakil County Galway. Our second night will be in Blarney Cork Area in the Muskerry Arms, enjoy the Blarney Castle and the square, restuarants, etc. But what are some churches or cathedrals we should see along the way in any city since the Flynn Clan has close ecclesiastical connections. May 20 we will spend our second night in the Muskerry Arms. On the morning of May 21 we will travel through Southern County Tppereary, over to County Waterford, County Kilkenny, Wexford, Wicklow and arriving in Dublin that evening. We will sleep over in Dublin May 21-22 in the Fitzpatrick Castle Hotel. We plan to visit J. Joyce Museum, Dalkey Castle and other sights. (any more suggestions)/?
    On the evening of May 23 we will transfer to the airport and stay in the Glenmore House for our final evening. We will leave Ireland on May 24 at 8:55 a.m. having had a memorable week in Ireland. Any suggestions along the way would be appreciated.

• Patrick O'Flynn says:

Ireland is bigger than you apparently seem to think as a visit to the west of Ireland alone would take up your holiday and you seem to be all over the place I haven’t even traveled that much in Ireland
      It’s like a race around touching bases
      Enjoy your trip I will be in the Merrick Hotel Eyre Square Galway on the 19th May at a family wedding my contact no is 0867761897

18. Derek Flyn says:

.Flynn / Nevada
    I am travelling from UK this year to follow the route of the Pony Express through Nevada.
    Thomas Flynn was a Pony Express rider.
    Are there many Flynn in central Nevada?

19. Robert Flynn says:

I have so much to learn. can you make any sense of this I’m attaching?

Edmund Flynn 1570-1646
    Thomas Flynn 1620-1680
    Laughlin Flynn Sr 1679-1731
    Laughlin Flynn Jr 1697-1758
    John Flynn 1732-1780
    William Flynn 1760
    John Flinn
    John R. Flinn 1826
    William A. Flinn 1859-1941
    John Terry Flinn 1880-1915
    Fred Flynn 1906-1981
    Robert C. Flynn 1948

I don’t know when this line first came to America. In 1800’s I know last 5 or 6 names were in Virginia, USA and my father moved to North Carolina in the 1920’s, two of my siblings moved to South Carolina where their families are now near Charleston, South Carolina.

20. Robert Flynn says:

I’ve found they first came to America in 1600s. With Thomas and Laughlin

21. Margaret Lundien says:

Robert: Here is my family tree .. such as it is … just to the two generations after Mary Honora O’Flynn … tell me if you believe it has incorrect information:

Flynn (Flinn) (1450 – )
    12th great-grandfather
    Ireland Flinn O’Flynn Flynn** (1470 – )
    son of Flynn (Flinn)
    George Flinn (1565 – )
    son of Ireland Flinn O’Flynn Flynn**
    Thomas O’Flynn (1600 – 1646)
    son of George Flinn
    King Edmond O’Flynn (1635 – 1750)
    son of Thomas O’Flynn
    King Edward O’Flynn (1655 – 1750)
    son of King Edmond O’Flynn
    Princess Mary Honora O’Flynn (1680 – 1741)
    daughter of King Edward O’Flynn
    John Lawrence Logsdon (1716 – 1797)
    son of Princess Mary Honora O’Flynn
    William Logsdon (1747 – 1818)
    son of John Lawrence Logsdon
    Joseph Logsdon (1796 – 1881)
    son of William Logsdon

Thank you every so much.

Margaret

• Terri L Dobbins says:

MARGARET LUNDIEN I am also related to Mary Honora O’Flynn! What you have found has really helped me with some completion of my family tree.
      I am still trying to figure out how far back Mary Honora O’Flynn is as my Grandmother.
      My Great Great Great Grandfather was Joseph Logsdon (1796 – 1881).
      My Great Great Grandfather was James Logsdon (1805-1867) and
      my Grandfather was James William Logsdon (1869-1952) Married Adelia Myrtle Richter
      My Mother was Roxie Myrtle Logsdon (1920-2009)

Somewhere down the lineage, you and I are related. So hello Cousin 🙂
      Terri Dobbins 330-242-6337 [email protected]

• Margaret, I do believe we are related. Today we found out Honors was in our family line. The daughter of Edward. My sister Terie Vase is doing our ancestry research.
      Wendy Hawthorne

22. Robert Flynn says:

I compare this and try to find some similarity.

23. Robert Flynn says:

Thanks Patrick

24. Kathleen Kay Ek(Flynn) says:

I have a Flynn family tree on Ancestry.com and would love for anyone with more information to email me or contact me on Ancestry. My Father’s name was Hubert McCoy Flynn. I have found my siblings through Ancestry and Facebook. I have a question about the Flynn name. And I’m sorry if it sounds stupid but are all of the Flynn’s related? By originating from one family in Ireland?
    Thank you in advance for any and all replies.

Hi Kathleen
      The Flynn name was fairly widespread in Ireland but the main navigation strongholds were Dal Riada in what is now Northern Ireland also a region on the Cork Kerry borderby which was called Muscairelinn and Ballinlough County Roscommon was another Strònghold these 3 locations are the original settlements of the Flynns and they spread out from there

Hi Kathleen
      The Flynn name was fairly widespread in Ireland but the main strongholds were Dal Riada in what is now Northern Ireland also a region on the Cork Kerry borderby which was called Muscairelinn and Ballinlough County Roscommon was another Strònghold these 3 locations are the original settlements of the Flynns and they spread out from there

25. Donald Flynn says:

I see nothing about Flynn’s being sheep stealers which I am told bothered my Great-Grandfather tremendously. At least the implication did.

Hi Donald
      Roscommon people were jokingly referred to as sheep stealers as Roscommon was a big sheep rearing county and also where the O’Flynn’s had one of theIreland territories and stronghold it points to the fact that maybe your Flynns came from there
      Is Donald a Family name
      Edward Flynn through his efforts had a breed of sheep recognised as The Roscommon Sheep in 1848

26. F. X. Flinn says:

We need more Ó Floinn males — however you might spell it! — to do the FTDNA y testing (https://www.familytreedna.com/products/y-dna).

It is highly likely that the branch originating in SW Cork are part of the Isles branch in Haplogroup I, meaning they were among the first settlers who arrived in Ireland at the end of the last Ice Age before the Doggerland went under the English Channel. That is what our DNA shows.

We are still trying to locate the family of origin of our gateway ancestor — James Flynn b 1834 — and it would be fun to find a Flynn in Ireland with a good match.

As to why we spell it Flinn, apparently James’ wife Susan Jones was English and she wanted the family to spell it the “English” way, i.e., dump both “O’s” from Ó Floinn (the oi being a Gaelic dipthong equal to the short i in English, but when written in script looks an awful lot like a y without the descender) and winding up with Flinn (and besides there is no letter y in Gaelic) AND she wanted the family to go to the C of E, the Episcopal Church in the USA, not the Catholics. She succeeded in part — her oldest some spelled it Flinn, but he was a Catholic. Or maybe just married a Catholic and went along. Anyway, my family descends from that kid. The other 2 boys and 1 girl, well, they stayed Episcopal. But they spell it Flynn.

If you’re laughing and this sounds like something that might happen in your family, get that DNA test done, we may be related.

• Patrick O'Flynn says:

I am also of the opinion that the Cork/Kerry (Muscairelinn) O’Flynns and the Connacht O’Flynns are closely related from at least the 7th Century in St. Caoilinn’s time. She was patron Saint of the Blind and Abbess of a Nunerry at Moore, Castlerea, County Roscommon their is recorded in the Annals that she acted as Guarantor of a land settlement between the local Chief Enda and The Ciarriage who had come from the South of Ireland to where O’Flynns territory lay

27. Jaci says:

I’m a Flynn from new Zealand who can trace my lineage back to Ireland. My ancestors hail from county cork. I found this article really interesting.

• Mary says:

I live in New York State,and am trying to trace my Great Grandmother Bridget Flynn from Cork, Ireland. I don’t have a middle name or parents, siblings, etc. But she came to NYC sometime in the late 1800’s-Early 1900’s. I think she was married to William Henry Dugan from NYC early 1900. She died at 26 years old here after giving birth to 3 children-2 sons and 1daughter, who is my Grandmother. Anyone have any information to share, please.? Thank You!

28. Patrick O'Flynn says:

St Caoilinn was always regarded as an O’Flynn and the Churches in the parish of Kilkevin (Castlerea) are dedicated to her. Her Feast day was observed up to modern times a Holy Well also existed and numerous miracles attributed to her.
    There is also a reference in the Annals the the church of Emlagh Brochada with its full of O’Flynns, three priests and black nuns (obviously referring to their dress) was wantonly burnt my enemies of the Clan. There is a broken Celtic Cross that stood at the entrance to this church still to be seen on the site of this church.
    This is testimony to the fact that from the establishment of Christianity in the Kingdom of Ireland the O’Flynns played a central role

• Robert Flynn says:

Top of the morning to ya, Patrick. If it is not too much to ask, please send me a picture of the altar area in the Cathedral of Tuam. Thank You. I hope you are well. Blessings!

29. Tracey Billings says:

My 4 X GF was a Laurence Flynn. Born Roscommon or Mayo 1818. Moved to Staffordshire around 1848 with children who’s mother is stated as Mary Kearns/Kerins . Had my DNA test results which say 40% Ireland (N Connacht) Led me to lots of 4th cousins with lots of them having the name “Duffy”. There are a few marriages between Duffy and Flynn and this is obviously a branch of the family tree but I cant find out any more info on Laurence or Mary

30. My maternal grandmother was a Flynn. Her grand father was John Flynn (b 31 May 1815 in Kings County (Offaly), Ireland. According to some sources, he came to America, returned to Ireland, and then came back again. His parents George Edward and Anna Flynn settled in Nova Scotia. He moved to the US and served in the army in the 2nd Seminole War and the Mexican War. His father, George Edward Flynn, may have been from Kings Country or Galway and was born about 1770. Like his son, he may have sailed to America twice. First in 1823, returning to Ireland in about 1831. Then, arriving in Nova Scotia, in 1833 when their ship was blown off course. I can find no further connections in Ireland. If any of this information can help find additional ancestors, I would be very appreciative. Thanks, Kurt

• Hi My 3 x ggp were Flynns. I wonder, do you have a tree on ancestry.com? You certainly have more information than I have on my ancestors

• Kurt Roudabush says:

Yes, my tree is on Ancestry. But on the Flynn side, almost everything I know is in the post other than the siblings of my ancestors. The frustrating part for me is not being able to make a connection to the family in Ireland.

31. Donna wade says:

My great grandfather John James Flynn left Cork to come to usa in 1888. He married Lena Deter. One of his sisters came to visit only once, which I have a wonder photo of her and my great grandfather. I do not know her name nut i do know they had a large family. I am aware Flynn is a common name but if anyone knows my great grandfather s family I would love to hear about it. thanks

32. Patrick O'Flynn says:

I will include your request in my 5 year plan…..

Will do.. . this year meeting my cousins in Fortlauderdale and NJ
    May 9th to 20th

• Robert Flynn says:

Are you that busy and having to schedule things to do 5 years in advance?

• Patrick O'Flynn says:

Hi Robert I went to Tuam to see if anything to photograph in relation to Archbishop but while it is an ancient church ruin and graveyard didnt locate what you wanted

33. Patrick O'Flynn says:

Just joking Robert I will make a point of getting that picture in Tuam shortly that you requested

34. Kathleen Flynn Kuritz says:

Anyone connected to David Flynn and Catherine Lyons Flynn, married in the Roman Catholic church of St. Mary’s in Castlemagner, near Mallow, County Cork? They were my great grandparents. Their children were: Cornelius, William, Mary ( Minnie) and Bridget who emigrated from Ireland to Australia, and David and Daniel (ending up in Chicago) and Denis (Cleveland, Ohio) and John – US location uncertain.

35. Hank Cardello says:

My dad went to PS3 in Bronx, NY in 1940. I just came across a book he had that commemorated his school days. On one page he lists his hero as “Edward Flynn”. I don’t seem to find info on that person. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

• Sharron Flynn says:

Hank I found this online:
      Edward Joseph Flynn (September 22, 1891 in The Bronx, then New York County, now Bronx County, New York City – August 18, 1953 in Dublin, Ireland) was an American lawyer and politician. Flynn was a leading Democratic politician of the mid-1900s, known for his tight control of the Bronx Democratic Party organization after 1922.

• Hank Cardello says:

Wow, thanks Sharron. As my dad was a republican in his days that is interesting. My grandfather, his dad, was born sometime in the 1890s in NYCity and Im thinking my grandfather may have been involved in politics in the 1940s and influenced my dad at that time. Also interesting is that Sept 22 is my birthday.

Thanks so much for your time and reply.

• Sharron Flynn says:

You are welcome Hank. Most of the working Flynns of my Dad’s generation were democrats because of the Unions.

36. Jimmy Flynn says:

Anyone on here related to John and Ellen Sheehan Flynn, from Banteer, Co. Cork? They are buried in Clonmeen North Cemetery, died in 1904, 1905. They were my Great Grandparents, their Son Denis was my Grandfather. He came to Savannah, Georgia in 1905, moved to Macon, Georgia, married, and my Father Howard M. Flynn was born. My Wife Jo and I Live near Columbus, Georgia in Midland. Anxious to see any answers. Thanks, Jimmy

• Robert Flynn says:

How far back have you traced your ancestors. Our blood line back to Edmond Flynn 1560 in County Downs, Downspatrict, N. Ireland

• Jimmy Flynn says:

My great grandparents are as far as we can trace now, John Flynn was born around 1825, married Ellen Sheehan, and think her parents were Thomas Sheehan and Bridget Evans Sheehan. Would love for earlier research to become known. Jimmy Flynn

• Wendy Tippett (nee Flynn) says:

I’ve traced my ancestors on the Flynn side back to Nicholas & Mary Flynn, father and mother of Hugh Flynn. They all came to Liverpool, presumably in the famine..but nowhere can I find where in Ireland they came from..there are several Nicholas and Marys, all born about 1835..somewhere in Ireland

37. Patrick O'Flynn says:

Try Kilcorky parish County Roscommon for Nicholas Flyn

• Wendy Tippett (nee Flynn) says:

Thank you ! I will!!

• Patrick O'Flynn says:

Seen Tombstone there in Kilcorky Graveyard to Michael, Nicholas and Conor Flyn its a rare Name amongst the Flyns in Roscommon so worth a try let me know if I can help further. The dates recorded there is around end of 18th century beginning of 19th. Liverpool is where most people from Connaght esp Roscommon would have gone in search of work or in route to the US
        My email [email protected]

Patrick O’Flynn

38. Kristin says:

I am trying to trace my grandmothers family and have hit a roadblock. I am related to a Hugh Flynn (we suspect O’Flynn) who was married to Margaret and they were both born in Roscommon Ireland in about 1831. They are on a census in Liverpool in 1871. Then I know that Hugh and daughters Nellie and Minnie showed up on a US Cencus a few times in the early 1900’s and would have to have been here before my great grandmothers birth (Minnie’s child)in 1900.

I would love to have some information on Hugh or Margaret’s family in Ireland.

39. Kendra Flynn says:

Hi Everyone my name is Kendra Alicia Flynn daughter of Doglas Alexander Flynn and GrandDaughter of Keith Alexander Roberto Flynn I am looking for any possible relatives that might be around on this website let me know if anyone has any information on this thanks

Hi Kendra
      Alexander O’Flyn is recorded in a postulation to nominate a Bishop in 1748 for the Diocese of Elphin. He was from a place called Drymills near Ballintubber County Roscommon Ireland. Alexander as a first name amoungst the Flynns was rare however I seen it used in the Irwin family who lived close to the Flynns
      My email is [email protected]
      Patrick O’Flynn

40. Leah Connelly says:

Hello I have traced my roots back to a Hugh Flinn and an Elizabeth Carter Flinn who moved to Scotland from Ireland and had several kids there (Michael Benedict, Susan and John (twins), Minnie, Nellie, Thomas, Bridget) some of whom did not survive. They came to the US in 1870’s (changed to Flynn) and settled in Salamanca NY before moving 1/2 hour away to Bradford, PA. I would like more info on them before they moved to Scotland as I am unable to trace their parents, siblings etc. Any info or resources for Irish records in the 1830’s would be great.

41. Karen Young says:

Hi Patrick,
    i need to be pointed in the right direction to find the home of my Flynn ancestors. My gg grandmother was Catherine Flynn b 1839 in Cork to Patrick Flynn b 1811. Unable to find Catherine’s mother s name or the exact area of Cork where they lived. Sometime during the 1850’s the entire family went to Swansea Wales for work. However, for decades they traveled back to Cork each summer and the story goes that some part of the family had a
    very large horse farm. Have checked Griffith’s and the tithe books but I have no info on other members of Patrick’s family. Have you any suggestions as to where else I should look?

42. Patrick O'Flynn says:

Hi Tracey
    I feel your Flynns came from the Parish of Tibohine County Roscommon where both the Duffy and Flynn name was common and also the given name Laurence
    My email is [email protected] if you wish me to check anything
    Patrick O’Flynn

43. Kathleen Flynn Kuritz says:

Great grandparents were David Flynn and Catherine Lyons Flynn from the Mallow area of County Cork. They lived in Castlemagner, Kanturk, and other small towns and villages in the Mallow area. Their three eldest children, Marry (Minnie), Cornelius, and Bridget left for Melbourne, Australia. Three younger sons, David, Denis, and Daniel ended up in Chicago and Cleveland, Ohio. Sons John and William probably left for Melbourne or United States. Denis was my paternal grandfather. Would love to find more about David and Catherine, who most likely remained in and died in Ireland. W

44. F X Flinn says:

Again I’d like to ask for more Flynn / Flinn males to get a yDNA test done at FamilyTreeDNA: https://www.familytreedna.com/products/y-dna

There is a group devoted to the study of the family via male-line Y chromosome DNA testing. It’s especially useful for those of you in Ireland to have this test done, as you may know more about your pre-famine ancestors through family oral tradition than those of us in the USA and OZ have access to on paper. For those of us scattered around the world it would be useful in identifying clumps of family members related back to ancestors in specific geographic areas of Ireland in the 1700s and earlier. For example, I sure would like to know for sure that I can concentrate only on Cork Flynns who are part of the Haplogroup I Isles-C neolithic settlers of Ireland instead of the the Haplogroup R Celts elsewhere on the Emerald Isle.

So …. if you are a male; and your father was a Flynn or Flinn; please consider jumping in and gettting a yDNA test done.

Cheers

F. X.

45. Mary Dority says:

I am 37% Irish through my Ancestry.com DNA. My Great GRANDMOTHER, Bridget Flynn, came to America NYC area in the late 1800’s. She married a man named William Henry Dugan. She died in 1910 at the age of 26, after giving birth to a baby boy named Joseph. She also had two other children named Mathew Aloyisious Dugan and Mary Frances Dugan. Is there anyone who has information that can help me locate Family members of theirs? Thank You ?

46. Mary Dority says:

I am 37% Irish through my Ancestry.com DNA. My Great GRANDMOTHER, Bridget Flynn, came to America NYC area in the late 1800’s from Cork. She married a man named William Henry Dugan. She died in 1910 at the age of 26, after giving birth to a baby boy named Joseph. She also had two other children named Mathew Aloyisious Dugan and Mary Frances Dugan. Is there anyone who has information that can help me locate Family members of theirs? Thank You ?

47. David Moore says:

Looking to establish any information about Catherine (Kate) O Flynn died 1st May 1914 aged 58y believed to be native Kanturk, Co Cork married Thomas Roche b 1856 Newmarket, cattle dealer. They hat a public house at 11 Corn Market St, Cork, childless but lists a niece Kathleen 3 years old residing with aunt Kate & Thomas in 1901 census. Thomas died in 1906 suddenly in Queenstown, Cork. Kate listed as licensed vintner at No 11 Corn Market St in 1911 census along with nephew Patrick Joseph O Flynn 18 y & niece Cathleen O Flynn 13 y. Mr.Charles O Neil, stockbroker administered Kate’s will in 1914, farm in Mahon went to her bro in law Wm Roche of Brooklodge, Glanmire, Co Cork. There is a Margaret O Neil interred in the Thomas Roche & Catherine (Kate) grave St Joseph’s cemetery in Cork, Margaret O Neil died 20th July 1959…she may have been related to Kate. Any information greatly appreciated on Kate O Flynn.