November 12, 1954
Ellis Island, New York’s main point of immigration entrance, was closed on this day in 1954. Since its opening in 1892, Ellis Island admitted 15 million people into America. Ellis Island was purchased from the state of New York by the US government for $10,000 in the early 19th century. It was originally used for arms storage, but became an immigration centre where 5,000 people would pass through its doors each day and were put through examinations. Many of these immigrants were Irish. Annie Moore, the first immigrant to ever pass through Ellis Island on January 2, 1892, was a 15 year old girl from Co. Cork.